- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- ADLESTROP PARK
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154355 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 21:16:56.
- Statutory Address:
- ADLESTROP PARK
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cotswold (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 24394 26865
ADLESTROP ADLESTROP VILLAGE
SP 22 NW
4/7 Adlestrop Park
Reputed former barn converted into house by William Leigh mid C17.
Now school. Remodelled late C17-early C18 by Theophilus Leigh.
Small extension c1750 and south-west wing added 1759-1763 by
Sanderson Miller for James Leigh. House extended 1796-1799 by
James Henry Leigh. East wing demolished c1950. Coursed, squared
and dressed limestone, slate roof, ashlar stacks. Plan, late C17
main body running south-west - north-east extended back rear right
and rear left. C18 wing onto right gable end. North-west entrance
front with C18 extension breaking forward on right. North-west
entrance front 3 storeys, symmetrical facade, windows grouped 1:3:1
with strings between storeys. 2, 3, and 4-light double-chamfered,
stone-mullioned windows with transoms to ground and first floors.
2-light flat-chamfered stone-mullioned windows to second floor with
parapet above. Leaded panes to most windows. Central projecting
C19 porch incorporating classical door surround of c1700. C19-C20
6-panel door within moulded, eared architrave with heraldic shield
forming keystone with lions head above. Doorway flanked by
detached Ionic columns supporting an open segmental pediment, urn
flanked by fruit wthin tympanum. South-west front by Sanderson
Miller. Symmetrical facade, 2 1/2 storeys. 3 bays with 2 Cotswold
dormers flanking large central gable lit by 2 and 3-light stone-
mullioned casements with trefoil-headed lights and stopped hoods.
Cartouche over central 3-light window. 2-storey, 3-light canted
bay windows and crocketed pinnacles. Pointed arched niches with
foliate decoration above in sides of bays. Engaged fretted
balustrade with pinnacles over 3 windows at centre. Similar
grouping of windows below with central window also forming door.
All windows to ground and first floors sashes with Gothic glazing
with moulded 'Tudor'-arched surrounds . Stone panels decorated in
low relief with heraldic shield and quatrefoil motif between ground
and first floor windows. Polygonal buttresses at corners and
flanking central bay. Domed finials with sides pierced by pointed
arches. String courses above ground floor windows and above and
below first floor windows. Stone mounting block adjacent to north-
Interior: Jacobean staircase with heavy square balusters. Carved
mid C17 wood fireplace over-mantel decorated with heraldic shields
and vine scroll. Original dragon frieze over continued around room
with C19 square panelling below. C18 'L' shaped stair with 3
turned balusters to every tread and simple circular decoration in
relief on tread ends. Decorated newel (enclosed for protection).
Simple rococo rose by Thomas Collet over stair. (VCH Glos. Vol
Listing NGR: SP2439426865
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1965)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing