CHURCH OF ST. JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1154435

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154435 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 06:17:52.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Clapton

National Grid Reference: SP 16282 17969

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLAPTON-ON-THE-HILL CLAPTON VILLAGE SP 11 NE 2/27 Church of St. James 25.8.60 GV II*

Anglican parish church. Late C12, Transitional C13, restored late C17, restoration and addition of vestry C20. Limestone rubble, stone slate roof. Slate hung bell turret. Nave with projecting south porch, vestry added 1912 on north, chancel. Chancel south wall; C17 two-light double-chamfered stone-mullioned casement with scroll-moulded stopped hood to right of porch, lancet left of porch. Small lancet at west end. Chancel north wall; rectangular window with flat-chamfered surround. Two-light double-chamfered stone-mullioned casement left of vestry. Vestry with 2-light stone-mullioned casement in gable end. Two-light double-chamfered stone-mullioned casement with stopped hood. Gabled porch; double wooden gates within pointed-arched entrance, inner order tapers in at shoulder height. Square bell turret with wooden louvres and pyramidal roof and weathercock. Unusually wide coping at gable ends of nave and at gable end of chancel. Roll-cross saddles with C17 finial crosses. Church interior; 3-bay nave. Pointed chancel arch with C12 flat- chamfered abaci. Three-bay nave with probably late C17 collar and tie trusses, similar trusses to two bay chancel. Stone flag floor. Latin inscription of c1289 in Lombardic script on left-hand abacus, translation; 'Whoever shall say three times devoutly a Pater and an Ave on his knees and in person - lo! There is a reward then and there of a thousand days'. Remains of possibly C17 painted black letter texts either side of chancel arch. Aumbry right of altar. Transitional tub font; chamfered at a later date to fit an octagonal shaft, at west end of chancel. Monuments; four late C18-C19 ledgers to members of the Wise family at west end of nave. Three late C17-early C18 ledgers to members of the Woodman family in chancel aisle. (David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979; and V.C.H, Vol II, p 59)

Listing NGR: SP1628217969

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 130463

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1907), 59
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing