WARBLINGTON CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1154484

Date first listed: 16-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Feb-1984

Statutory Address: WARBLINGTON CASTLE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WARBLINGTON CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154484 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 03:16:38.

Location

Statutory Address: WARBLINGTON CASTLE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Havant (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 72895 05550

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 70 NW HAVANT CHURCH LANE Warblington 16.5.52 4/40 Warblington Castle GV (formerly listed as Remai of Warblington Castle) II*

The surviving fragment of a large Tudor courtyard house, surrounded by a moat, and built for Margaret Pole (Countess of Salisbury), between 1514 and 1526; virtually demolished at the end of the Civil War (1643). What remains is part of the gateway tower, including the moulded stone arch of the gate, some of the south wall of the tower, a complete south-east octagonal stair turret, of 5 storeys, and part of the east wall (facing the courtyard). Red brick walling in English bond with stone dressings, the turret having a castellated top, drip moulds at each storey, and small rectangular openings, and a doorway. The walling extending from the turret westwards (originally internal) is of brickwork, with a fragment of castellated top; that extending northwards has a stone face, the drip moulds from the turret continuing as far as the jambs (1st, 2nd and 3rd floors) of windows, and to the inner gateway arch. Small later outshot at the south side is flanked by stone walling, to form a shed. Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: SU7293805566

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 135336

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing