OLD VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1154496

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 24-May-1988

Statutory Address: OLD VICARAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154496 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 09:23:45.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD VICARAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bywell

National Grid Reference: NZ 04783 61530

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BYWELL BYWELL NZ 0461 23/67 Old Vicarage 20.10.52 (previously listed as Bywell Vicarage)

GV II

Vicarage, dated 1698; rear wings 1901. Large rubble with roughly-shaped quoins and cut dressings; Welsh slate roof with rendered stacks. Rectangular block with central stair wing to rear. South elevation 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Central old half-glazed door in bolection-moulded surround with pulvinated frieze inscribed MAT OWEN FECIT A.D. 1698; open and broken pediment enclosing oval cartouche with arms of See of Durham and fruit ornament. 12-pane sash windows in rebated stone surrounds with floating cornices and slightly-projecting sills. Coped gables have moulded kneelers with incised hearts, carrying ball finials; stepped end stacks.

Left return shows blocked chamfered light on ground floor and 2 small blocked lozenge-shaped lights (each cut in a single slab) under cornices on 1st floor. Right return shows similar small blocked lights, oval on ground floor and lozenge- shaped above; to right, projecting end of north-east wing with canted bay, its 1st floor corbelled out, with paired sashes and moulded cornice. Rear elevation shows original stair wing with three 2-light mullioned windows, one blocked, the others with lead latticed casements.

Interior: Old door furniture and bar behind front door. Framed newel stair with closed string, splat balusters, moulded handrail and square newels with moulded tops. Attics retain 2-panel doors with H hinges. Principal-rafter roof altered in late C18 or early C19; collars removed; purlins with tusk tenons.

Listing NGR: NZ0478361530

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 239828

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing