GROUP OF 10 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, UP TO 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE CHANCEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1154505
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 10 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, UP TO 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE CHANCEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 10 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, UP TO 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE CHANCEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154505 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 09:18:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 10 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, UP TO 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE CHANCEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Uckington
National Grid Reference:
SO 92055 26057

Details

SO 92 NW UCKINGTON ELMSTONE HARDWICKE

7/198 Group of 10 monuments in the church- yard of the Church of St Mary Magdalene, up to 10m south-east of the chancel

GV II

Group of 10 monuments comprising a row of 8 headstones, a single headstone (forming part of a row) and a chest tomb to members of the Buckle family. Row of 8 headstones. Limestone. Seven of the headstones are C18 and of similar design with tops in the form of double scrolls and sunken inscription plaques with inscriptions in italics to members of the Little family. Headstone to the right of these, to Susannah Little, died 1695. Sandstone. Raised oval inscription plaque with shallowly carved foliate scrollwork at the top. Headstone to the right of the latter. Limestone. Partially legible inscription in italics, dated 1673. Headstone to the right of the latter, to Alice Little, died 1707. sandstone. Oval inscription plaque with foliate scrollwork (similar to the Susannah Little monument). Segmental-headed headstone to the right of the latter. Limestone. Almost illegible inscription including the date 1687. The inscription plaque is flanked by putti each holding a book in one hand, the other hand is held up towards two seated putti above the inscription plaque. Large segmental-headed headstone (tipping forwards) c2m to the east, to Thomas Little and Mary his wife. Only legible date 1711. Large winged cherub's head at the top with rosettes either side. Pedestal tomb to William Buckle of Boddington, Gent, died 1789. Sandstone with limestone plinth. Flat standing formerly with a cast-iron railing. Fielded inscription plaques on all four sides of the tomb. Two with fluted friezes. Two with swag decoration to the friezes. Moulded capping with curving pyramidal upper capping stone with a finial at the top.

Listing NGR: SO9205526057

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
134606
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16702/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].