Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154532.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2021 at 08:09:28.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dorset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SY 75872 94352



14/108 Church of Saint Mary 26.1.56


Anglican Parish Church. c12 origin, rebuilt and enlarged from the C13 to C16. Restored, and chancel and north chapel extended 1910 - Architect C Ponting. Walls of flint and rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Nave, ` chancel and aisle roofs of lead, with parapets. South transept and vestry roofs tiled. North porch roof stone slated; south porch part stone slate, part tiled. Nave, north aisle of 4 bays, chancel with north chapel of 2 bays, south transept and vestry, north and south porches, west tower. Tower of 4 stages with battlemented parapet and pinnacles. Octagonal stair turret on south, moulded string courses to each stage. Roughly chamfered plinth, single light belfry windows. North wall, repaired in brick. South wall of nave has clerestory with 5 square-headed 2-light windows with arched lights. At lower level, 2 square-headed 3-light windows with cusped lights. Moulded doorway to porch. In south transept a 5-light window with perpendicular tracery. Vestry, to east, C16, has 4-centred arched doorway. Plain 3-light square headed window in east wall. In south chancel wall a 3-light square headed window with arched lights. Diagonal buttresses to chancel. Re-set C15 east window, 3 lights, with Perpendicular tracery. Carved C12 stone fragments re-set in east wall of chapel. In north wall of chapel 2 square-headed 3-light windows with arched lights and elliptical headed doorway. In north aisle a 5-light window with Perpendicular tracery - the lower part blocked. West of this two 3-light square headed windows with arched lights. Diagonal buttresses to north porch. Pointed segmental arch. Inner doorway with elliptical arch and C16 oak door. Internal walls plastered. Shallow waggon roof to chancel - 1910. Several good C17 and C18 monuments on south wall; C16 brass in squint to transept. C18 three sided altar rails. North arcade has moulded arches and shafts with foliage capitals. Nave roof of depressed arch braced form, panelled ceiling with moulded ribs and cusped cross bracing. On south nave wall a C17 painted text, and remains of C16 Royal Arms part covered by C18 tablet. West gallery dated 1635, with turned balusters and carved Royal Arms. C17 two decker pulpit and clerk's desk. C17 box pews throughout church. Circular C12 tub font with diaper patterning and C17 cover. In north aisle, late C17 wall painting of Lord's Prayer. In south transept a very good collection of medieval, C16 and C17 monuments, mainly to the Martyn family. (For full description of these see RCHM Survey). A church of exceptional interest for its furnishings and monuments. (RCHM Monument 1 Dorset Vol III)

Listing NGR: SY7587494354


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/14679/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Miller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].