CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1154542
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154542 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 04:35:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Fretherne with Saul
National Grid Reference:
SO 73372 09157

Details

FRETHERNE WITH SAUL FRETHERNE SO 70 NW 5/169 Church of St. Mary 10.1.55 GV II* Anglican church. Rebuilt 1847, on site of C13 church, by Francis Niblett enlarged 1857-9 by J.W. Hugall; commissioned by Darell family. Brown sandstone, with pinkish ashlar limestone dressings, roof mainly in decorative fishscale pattern tiles, with decorative ridge tiles, pierced parapets of varying designs, raised coped verges with cross finials, and crocketed corner pinnacles to east; south side of nave in plain tiles, south aisle in stone slates. Nave with aisles, west corner of north aisle forming porch with tower over, 2 south chapels and small south-east vestry. Decorated style. Tower of 3 stages with stepped angle buttresses, surmounted by steep gablets at second stage flanking clock face in carved surround on north face, 2-light double tier belfry louvres on top stage on each face. Corners have crocketed pinnacles with small flying buttresses to crocketed octagonal spire. Steep gable over porch with angel corbels and angel in apex niche, stepped pointed arched doorway with elaborate wrought iron gates across door panelled in Decorated style. Windows mostly 2 or 3-light, with stepped buttresses between. Chapel to south-west is gabled; to south east with parapet and pinnacles, rose window to south and large sculpted angels flanking 4-light to east. Chancel 3-light east window has elaborately carved ogee hoodmould with pinnacles and angel stops. Priest's door to north-east and door to chapel on south-west both have decorative wrought iron grilles. Interior: generally highly decorative with coloured and encaustic floor tiles, painted roof, and painting and gilding on stonework. Nave of 4 bays has arch-braced collar beams with pierced cusped decoration above collar beam, 4-bay arcade to south with all piers different, 2-bay to north, all pointed arches. Two clerestory roof lights close to chancel arch are jettied out as oriels into internal roof space. Chapel to south west has trefoil arcading under south window and C13 coffin lids on floor. Elaborately carved wooden pulpit hood and stone font hood. Glass mainly by George Rogers of Worcester 1859. (David Verey, Buildings of England: Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980; VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972)

Listing NGR: SO7337209157

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
132428
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04661/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Bob Train. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].