GREENHOUSE 120 METRES EAST OF FELTON PARK WITH POTTING SHED AT REAR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1154561
Date first listed:
31-Dec-1969
Statutory Address:
GREENHOUSE 120 METRES EAST OF FELTON PARK WITH POTTING SHED AT REAR

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREENHOUSE 120 METRES EAST OF FELTON PARK WITH POTTING SHED AT REAR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154561 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2019 at 16:41:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
GREENHOUSE 120 METRES EAST OF FELTON PARK WITH POTTING SHED AT REAR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Felton
National Grid Reference:
NU 18048 00166

Details

FELTON FELTON PARK NU 1800 12/105 Greenhouse 120 metres east of 31/12/69 Felton Park, with potting shed at rear GV II*

Greenhouse. c.1830, incorporating C18 garden wall. Garden wall brick with stone dressings; greenhouse cast-iron and glass on ashlar base with brick plinth to east part; potting shed brick with felted roof.

Greenhouse has low 30-bay front wall with boldly-convex pent roof; all glazing in vertical panels with fishscale pieces of opaque glass; permanent iron ladder at centre. Upper wall behind has 2 rows of 9 grilled vents. Left return shows vertical strips of small square panes and half-glazed iron door with fishscale glazing. Right return has inserted boarded double door.

Rear elevation: pent-roofed potting shed with five 12-pane Yorkshire sash windows and boarded door on each return.

Interior: Greenhouse has central division wall and door as on left return. Each part has 4-bay axial arcade of slender iron columns. Plastered rear wall has vents at roof level closed by pivoting iron shutters with counterweight mechanism.

Notes: the brick plinth suggests that the east half of the greenhouse is slightly older, although both parts are otherwise indentical. It is similar in form to the 1825 conservatory of Beetham, by Webster of Kendal. An unusually early and well-preserved example.



Listing NGR: NU1804800166

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236774
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].