TOWER AT HAGGERSTON CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1154644
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1969
Statutory Address:
TOWER AT HAGGERSTON CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER AT HAGGERSTON CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154644 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 23:49:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWER AT HAGGERSTON CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ancroft
National Grid Reference:
NU 04193 43714

Details

ANCROFT HAGGERSTON NU 04 SW 10/41 Tower at 22/12/69 Haggerston Castle

GV II

Tower (along with the Rotunda, q.v.) forms the remains of a house rebuilt 1893-7 by R. Norman Shaw for Thomas Leyland. The rest of the house was demolished in 1933. Ashlar. Very tall and slender L-plan tower. Round- headed ground-floor doorway on north side. The main tower has an elongated canted oriel on each side at the top, and moulded battlements.

Slightly higher stair tower of 12 storeys has small windows with chamfered surrounds. Brick-vaulted basement. The tower was both a water tower and a belvedere.

R. Norman Shaw : Andrew Saint : 1976.

Listing NGR: NU0419343714

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237894
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Saint, A, Richard Norman Shaw, (1976)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13490/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Don Brownlow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].