CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1154649

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154649 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 04:37:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Sturminster Marshall

National Grid Reference: ST 95121 00402

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STURMINSTER MARSHALL ST 90 SE CHURCH STREET 4/62 Church of St Mary 18.3.55 The Virgin - II* Parish church. C12, with C13 extensions, C14 and C15 changes, tower rebuilt 1805, and substantial restoration of 1859, by Henry Woodyer. Walls of ironstone rubble, with limestone dressings; plinth, stepped buttresses, hood-moulds. Tile roof. Continuous nave and chancel, with wide north aisle continuing into a chapel (with a small vestry of 1859 at its east end), south porch (mostly 1859), and west tower (the upper part of 1859). All the windows are 'Decorated' or 'Perpendicular', of the restoration date, with a lancet opening into a tall sedilia. The tower is of three stages, with weathered offsets, flat corner buttresses, a crenellated parapet and corner pinnacles. Inside, apart from the Norman arcade on later square columns, the features are all Victorian; there is a tall wood screen, plaster-barrel vaults to nave and aisle, a pulpit with an ogee base, a 'Norman' font, and a series of monuments, floor slabs and brasses (mostly C19) and a C17 helm. The chancel has three stained glass windows by John Hardman & Co. The porch has some earlier parts and opens onto a Tudor south doorway; it accommodates two medieval coffin slabs. RCHM

Listing NGR: ST9512100402

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 107687

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset II South East, (1970)

End of official listing