PUMPING ENGINE HOUSE AT SCREMERSTON OLD MINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1154687
Date first listed:
18-Aug-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
PUMPING ENGINE HOUSE AT SCREMERSTON OLD MINE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PUMPING ENGINE HOUSE AT SCREMERSTON OLD MINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154687 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 19:55:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
PUMPING ENGINE HOUSE AT SCREMERSTON OLD MINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ancroft
National Grid Reference:
NU 01001 48457

Summary

Pumping-engine house at coal mine. 1840.

History

The Jack Tar pit at Scremerston Colliery (originally known as Greenwich Colliery) was sunk in 1840. In 1873 it was being worked by the Scremerston and Shoreswood Coal Co. (previously Messrs Johnson and Carr) but closed in 1878. It was re-opened in 1913 but it does not appear that any coal was produced.

Details

Pumping-engine house at coal mine. 1840 for the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital.

Rock-faced stone with iron water tank. 3 storeys with cast-iron water-tank on top, 2 bays. Round-headed windows now boarded up. The heavily buttressed north elevation has a round headed doorway at ground floor level with a partly-blocked round-headed opening above for the beam of the engine.

Between 2nd-floor windows an inscription in raised stone surround with cornice over :-

ERECTED AD MDCCCXL

BY THE COMMISSIONERS

OF GREENWICH HOSPITAL

JOHN GREY ESQ. RECEIVER

MESSRS JOHNSON & CARRS

COLLIERY LESSEES

THOMAS FORSTER ESQ.

VIEWER & ENGINEER

MR. W. ELLIOT,TWEEDMOUTH

BUILDER



This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/06/2014

Formerly listed as Water tower at Scremerston Old Mine.

Previously listed as Scremerston Old Mine.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237903
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
, accessed from http://sihs.co.uk/features-coal.htm

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].