CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1154689

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, WANLEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154689 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 13:39:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, WANLEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Blyth

National Grid Reference: NZ 31240 81517

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BLYTH WANLEY STREET NZ 3181 NW (East side) 9/44 Church of St. Mary (formerly listed under 28.7.50 Church Street) GV II Parish Church, 1864 by Austin and Johnson; chancel and west end of nave extended, and north aisle added, 1897-1902 by W.S. Hicks. Squared stone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof, with looped terracotta cresting on nave. Nave with 4-bay north aisle, and south porch, chancel with north vestry/organ chamber and south-west bell turret. Nave has chamfered plinth and moulded strings to sills and linking hoodmoulds; sill string continued round porch to form imposts of double-chamfered arch with boarded double doors. 3 windows east of porch, each of 2 lancet lights with cinquefoiled circle over. West end has two 3-light transomed windows, in C14 style, with flanking and central buttresses. North aisle has separate lower-pitched roof and north windows of 4 trefoiled ogee-lights under square heads; blocked arch on west to unfinished part of building. 2-bay chancel has moulded plinth, string and stepped buttresses. 2- and 3-light windows on south, 5-light east window in C14 style with cusped panel above. Bell turret has shouldered doorway on east and small loop lights below wooden bell stage with 3 slatted openings on each face; short pyramidal spire. Coped gables with finial crosses.

Interior: plastered. 4-bay north arcade with double-chamfered arches on round piers. Nave has king-post roof with intermediate arch-braced collars, the posts resting on collars only in alternate trusses. Aisle roof has strutted king-post trusses with central bosses and embattled plate. Chancel and sanctuary arches on double corbels with leafy capitals. Green granite font with spire cover. East window: Christ in Majesty with Evangelists below, flanked by Resurrection and Ascension, 1911, signed by Atkinson Bros. of Newcastle. North aisle window 1950 by Evetts. Church originally built as chapel of ease to St. Mary, Horton (q.v.), becoming parochial in 1896.



Listing NGR: NZ3124081517

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236009

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing