Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of VILLAGE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154717 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 23:05:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NU 20306 20229



15/213 Village Hall


Sunday School, now Village Hall. Dated 1855 with initials R.W.B. and C.B. (Rev. Robert William Bosanquet and his wife Caroline). Tooled squared stone with tooled-and-margined ashlar dressings; roof of large blue slates with ornamental orange tile ridge. T-plan.

West front single storey, 3 bays, symmetrical. Chamfered plinth. Projecting centre has boarded double doors under flat-pointed arch in square frame, with hoodmould, flanked by small windows. Datestone above, and re-set datestone inscribed 1623 T.S., A.S. (Thomas Salkeld and wife) taken from the 'Mid Hall' which previously occupied the site. Slit window beneath coped gable on moulded kneelers, with finial. Flanking bays have 2-light mullioned windows with hoodmoulds; chamfered corbels to the eaves. Gable ends have stepped coping on moulded kneelers, and stacks with diagonally-set banded shafts. Windows are fixed casements with horizontal glazing bars, in double-chamfered surrounds.

Right return shows projecting stepped chimney breast, with sunk panel enclosing re-set sundial dated MDCC. Rear elevation shows three similar 2- light windows.

Rendered pent extension to north is not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NU2030620229


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07856/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bill Halliday. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].