MINCHIN MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES NORTH OF WELLS MONUMENT TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1154747
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1985
Statutory Address:
MINCHIN MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES NORTH OF WELLS MONUMENT TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST JAMES, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MINCHIN MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES NORTH OF WELLS MONUMENT TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154747 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 14:26:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
MINCHIN MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES NORTH OF WELLS MONUMENT TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST JAMES, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Gloucester (District Authority)
Parish:
Quedgeley
National Grid Reference:
SO8073814183

Details

SO 81 SW 5/164

QUEDGELEY SCHOOL LANE (north side)

Minchin monument in the churchyard approximately 5m north of Wells monument to east of Church of St. James

GV II

Pedestal tomb. Dated 1756. Limestone. Tall and rectangular, with bow-ends and gadrooned corner balusters. Recessed beaded panel to ends with 5 cherub's heads grouped around sun-burst to west; military trophy to east with central open book. Cartouche in recessed moulded side panels, with 2 cherub's heads under shroud to south. Hollow moulded top; cyma moulded plinth. Inscriptions illegible, but richly modelled decoration. Recorded as inscribed to Christopher Minchin, died 1756. (G. Burgess, English Churchyard Memorials, 1963.)

Listing NGR: SO8073814183

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
131826
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Burgess, F , English Churchyard Memorials, (1963)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00406/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jack Farley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].