ESTCOURT GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1154751

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1954

Statutory Address: ESTCOURT GRANGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ESTCOURT GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154751 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 06:58:06.

Location

Statutory Address: ESTCOURT GRANGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Tetbury Upton

National Grid Reference: ST 89666 91938

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 89 SE TETBURY UPTON -

5/328 Estcourt Grange 6.9.54

II

Large detached house. Late C16/early C17, with later wing to north probably of late C17. Rubble stone faced in roughcast with stone quoins, Cotswold stone-slate roof, multiple ashlar stacks, some with paired flues and moulded caps. L-shape with cross gable to left and older wing projecting forward to right, and 2-storey square entrance porch in angle. Mostly 2 storeys and attic. Right-hand wing has 3 gables with hexagonal finials, each with one 2-light cavetto moulded stone mullion window with square hoodmouLd. 1st floor has 3 windows, 3-light cavetto moulded stone mullion, with continuous dripmould. Ground floor as first. Angle gable is cut into by porch (added 1734) which has wide square arch with moulded jambs and lintel. Lintel is very large and has square hoodmould. C20 glazed inner doors. 2-light window above, also cavetto moulded with square hoodmould, parapet wall to top of porch. Left-hand gable on north range has one window on each floor, 5/4/3-light going up with wide stone mullions with shallow cavetto moulding, string course above ground and 1st floor. To left of porch, one 3-light window on ground and 1st floors and early C20 gabled dormer above. Small C19 wing to right return and remains of medieval chapel probably of C14 with niches to far right in restored single storey block. Very large external stack beyond C19 wing on right hand return. This is the site of a Cistercian Priory, established c1140. Interior not inspected as not accessible at time of survey but could be of interest. (David Verey, Buildings of England: Gloucestershire - the Cotswolds, 1979; VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol. XI, 1976.)

Listing NGR: ST8966691938

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 128603

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1976)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire The Cotswolds, (1979)

End of official listing