Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154791.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2020 at 11:22:52.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Tewkesbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 03098 27667


SUDELEY - SP 0227-0327 14/143 Sudeley Castle (formerly listed as part of Sudeley 4.7.60 Castle and remains of the Grange) GV I Former castle, now country house. Mid C15 for Ralph Boteler; late C15 for Richard III; much altered c1572 for Lord Chandos, mid C19 for J. Dent by Sir G.G. Scott, later C19 for Mrs. E. Dent by J.D. Wyatt, early C20 by M. Anderson, 1930's by W.H. Godfrey for Major Dent-Brocklehurst. Coursed, squared stone and ashlar, stone slate roofs, lead flats, probably Welsh slate roofs. Large, rectangular outer courtyard, west wing extended as side of inner courtyard, opposite side ruins of Great Presence Chamber: 2 and 3 storeys, higher towers. North, exterior face: late C19 tower on left, plinth, 3-light mullion and transom window to ground and first floors, string courses as hoodmoulds, 2-light similar above, moulded head on consoles, string course, crenellations, higher at corners. To right, C16 work: 4-light mullion and transom, with king mullion, 6-light similar above with 2 king mullions. Wall sets forward slightly to right, double boarded doors to gate in 4- centred arch, 2-light mullion each side; above 2 oriel windows, each with 2-light mullion and transom windows, hipped roofs. Set back on right, 2 and 4-light mullioned or mullion and transom windows, above three 4-light mullion and transom, one 6-light. Moulded string course and crenellations run through from corner tower, hipped roof, 6 chimneys, moulded caps. Inner walls of outer courtyard: north side, corner turrets at ends; plinth, boarded door, moulded arris to opening, 4-centred head with plain spandrels; 2-light mullion on left return of turret; to left wide archway, 4-centred head, chamfer to arris, single-light window each side. Beyond 4-light mullion window each side of half-glazed door in opening as first door: corner turret with boarded door on right return as first, 2-light mullioned window main face. Above, string course as hoodmould; 2-light mullion window each face of corner turrets; between three 4-light mullion and transom windows, king mullion, moulded string course, crenellated parapet. Right, east wing; windows all 4-light mullion and transom, reserved chamfer, king mullion, string course as hoodmould: doors boarded, moulded surround, 4-centred arch, plain spandrel. Ground floor, plinth, single window each end, 4 doors with 2 windows between each; first floor 8 windows; crenellated parapet, 5 ashlar chimneys with moulded caps. Great Presence Chamber at end of east range: east and north walls only remain. From outside, octagonal stair turret on right, lancets, string course and moulded head. To left, plinth, 2 former mullion and transom windows, tracery gone, relieving arch over, scrolls to flat hoodmould on left. Chimney breast, 4-light mullion and transom window, cusped heads to lights, flat head, hoodmould with scrolled ends. Above: 4-light mullioned window, king mullion, 2 transoms, crenellations to sill; buttress and high up each side 4-light window, as main but no transoms, plain sill. Below left window open back to fireplace and flue. Oriel window to left, 3-light mullioned window, 2 transoms. Inside flying 4-centred arch to right ground-floor window, panelled vault behind in wall thickness. Above, floor gone: fireplace with flat stone lintel, moulded arris, blind tracery to reveals of tall windows, moulded sill to shorter, start of fan vaulting over oriel. On left return 9-light mullioned window high up, 4 king mullions, moulded sill, end lights blind, 3-centred arch. Interior north and east range: ground floor on east; Library, bolection-moulded panelling, wide c1572 stone fireplace reset from elsewhere in building, fluted columns each side, carved heads on cornice, egg-and-dart frieze; carved panels over doors, stained glass to upper parts of windows. Adjoining panelled room, Ionic pilasters above dado, moulded cornice, stone fireplace surround. Main stairs; open well, moulded string and rail, spiral balusters, square newels with knob finials, dado panelling, 1580 stained glass in windows. First floor, Katherine Parr room to south, largely 1847ff decoration, stone door surrounds, 4-centred arches, ornate timber surrounds with crocketed frieze, linen-fold panelling, ornate fireplace surround and overmantel with nodding ogee head: carved wooden cornice, moulded plaster ceiling with pendants, stained glass to windows, some C17. North drawing room 12-panelled doors, ornate carved surround to fireplace: some C17 glass to north stair windows, otherwise C19 painted. Room over gateway: wide stone fireplace with 1930's strapwork frieze, 12 panel doors, moulded plaster ceiling. Billiard room beyond, small-panelled panelling, dado, strapwork Corinthian pilasters, carved frieze, strapwork doors, ornate surround and overmantel to fireplace, moulded plaster ceiling, stained glass to upper part windows. Last home of Katherine Parr, Henry VIII's widow; castle slighted 1649, purchased by Dents in 1837 and restored by them. (S. Rudder, A New History of Gloucestershire, 1779; papers at Sudeley Castle; Country Life, 1940; P.A. Faulkner, Archaeological Journal, 1965; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970)

Listing NGR: SP0310027668


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Rudder, S, A New History of Gloucestershire, (1779)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, (1965)
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1940)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].