CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1154894

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154894 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 05:31:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Tincleton

National Grid Reference: SY 77581 91821

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TINCLETON SY 79 SE

9/156 Church of Saint John the Evangelist 26.1.56

GV II

Anglican Parish Church. Built 1849, Architect Benjamin Ferrey. Rough ashlar walls with ashlar dressings. Tiled roofs with coped gables. Nave, chancel with vestry on south, north porch. Gabled bell-cote at west end, with 2 bell openings. Angle buttresses to nave. In north wall of nave three 2-light windows with geometrical tracery and hoodmoulds, divided by buttresses with gabled offsets. Inner and outer doorways to porch have moulded arches with shafts with moulded caps. Good ironwork to door. In north wall of chancel a moulded arched door, with hoodmould, 2 lancets with cinquefoil cusping, and hoodmoulds. Diagonal buttresses to chancel, with gabled offsets. East window of 3-lights with geometrical tracery, and hoodmould. Vestry, on south, has in east wall, a square headed 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould. Similar window in south wall, with reticulated tracery. South wall of nave has two 2-light windows and buttresses as in north wall. West of these, a lancet with trefoil cusping, and hoodmould. In west wall, 2 lancets with traceried heads under single relieving arch. Interior, walls plastered. Chancel roof has cusped principals and windbracing, - principals carried on angel corbels. 2-bay arcade to vestry has octagonal columns with moulded capitals and moulded arches. Alabaster reredos flanked by arcading. 2 early C19 memorials on north wall. Nave has arch braced collar beam roof, principals carried on moulded corbels with carved heads. C19 stone pulpit. On north wall, monument to George Baynard, 1693 with broken curved pediment, urns, scroll brackets, Coat of Arms below tablet. West of door, monument to Rachel Baynard, 1669, with crest above tablet, flat apron to cill with primitive carving of cheru'b's head. On south wall, monument to Maria White, 1718, tablet flanked by Tuscan columns, entablature with broken curved pediment and scroll brackets. Coat of Arms below cill, with cherub's head and winged skull. C12 stone font with circular fluted bowl on C19 or C20 base. (RCHM Monument 1 Dorset Vol III)

Listing NGR: SY7758191821

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 106345

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)

End of official listing