This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD VICARAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD VICARAGE

List entry Number: 1154901

Location

THE OLD VICARAGE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Norham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 237937

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORHAM CHURCH LANE NT 8947 12/84 The Old Vicarage 6.5.52

GV II

House, formerly the Vicarage. Rebuilt 1800 for Rev. Atkins, enlarged 1830 for Rev. Darnell. Roughly-coursed sandstone with tooled-and-margined ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof and brick chimneys. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Raised alternating quoins. Central 2-leaf, half-glazed door with horizontally-set panes in the Scottish style. 12-pane sash above door. Outer bays have shallow 2-storey bows with tripartite windows, the centre lights broad 12-pane sashes, the outer lights very narrow 8-pane sashes. Moulded eaves cornice following the contours of the bows. Hipped roof with C20 ridge stacks.

4-bay right return with 12-pane sashes. To rear a service wing, and corniced porch with 2-leaf, flush-panel door and margined overlight.

Interior: 6-panel doors, panelled reveals and shutters. Original fireplaces, including one with gesso decoration.

North Durham: J. Raines: London, 1852.

Listing NGR: NT8969047314

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Raine, J, North Durham, (1852)

National Grid Reference: NT 89615 47389

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154901 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 01:28:47.

End of official listing