CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154923 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 20:46:56.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tewkesbury (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
SP 03 SW 3/161 4.7.60 CHURCH LANE
(north side) Church of St Andrew (formerly listed as Church of St Leonard) GV I
Parish church. 1873-'9 by G.E. Street's for Lord Sudeley. Ashlar walls, stone slate roof. Nave, south porch, south tower, chancel, north and south chapels, vestry. Church in Street's early Decorated style, with Geometric tracery, heavy moulded plinth throughout, with string course above at sill level to chapels and chancel. South front: square-set buttresses on left, 2-light window, hoodmould, buttress; projecting single-storey porch, clasping corner buttresses, arched opening, parapet gable with cross-gablets at foot and apex, cross on apex: 2-light window in returns. To right two 3-light windows, hoodmoulds, buttress between, corbelled eaves, parapet gable west end. Tower projects to right, square-set corner buttresses, sloping and gabled offsets. South side double, boarded door up one stone step, nook shafts, dogtooth moulding to arch, hoodmould, string course: tall 2-light window, hoodmould, string course, lancets behind 3 linked arches with hoodmoulds, sloping offset, 2-light window with wooden louvres, corbelled eaves, broach spire, crocketed finials to broaches, 3 levels of lucarnes to cardinal faces, iron weathervane. Left return has semi-octagonal projection at rear, boarded door in slight projection adjoining. To right of tower south chapel, 3- light window with hoodmould, lancet, square-set corner buttresses, corbelled eaves, parapet gable with cross on apex. Chancel set back on right, 3-light window, head stops to hoodmould, square-set buttresses to corner with gabled offsets, eaves and gable as chapel. East end: top of tower as south. Chapel, two 2-light windows, with hoodmoulds, string course across gable, 3-light window in moulded surround. Chancel corner buttresses as south: 5-light window with 2 king mullions, hoodmould; string course and window over as chapel. Vestry slightly set back on right, 3-light window with hoodmould, cross on apex parapet gable. North side, boarded door with arched head, up 3 stone steps, string steps up to form hoodmould: plain, projecting eaves. Chapel sets forward to right, eaves as nave. North face double gable, with square-set corner and centre gabled buttresses. Two 3-light windows with hoodmoulds, blind quatrefoils over each side, large, scaley gargoyle in centre. String course across both gables, each with cinquefoil window over, cross on apex of parapet gables. Set back on right to rear, circular turret in angle with conical roof and lucarne. Three 3-light windows alternating with buttresses to right; boarded door up one stone step to right, triangular window over, with hoodmould: square-set corner buttresses. Eaves and gable as south. Interior: porch, boarded door to rear, 3 marble nook shafts each side, dogtooth moulding and cusping to arch over, hoodmould; arch- braced collar trusses. Interior church ashlar walls: concrete floor except to chancel, marble; Purbeck marble nook shafts to windows. Nave: walls in bays with Purbeck marble shafts carrying arches in side walls: moulded string course over. Screen to west, 7-bay blind arcade, clustered columns, trefoil arches, hoodmoulds, trefoils to spandrels; 3 tall arches over, cutting off western bay with barrel vault. Moulded arches with moulded capitals and bases to clustered columns below, to north chapel, tower and chancel. Hammer-beam trusses to nave roof, arched braces to purlins, upper braces cusped. Chancel: arches to chapels as nave: Purbeck marble vaulting shafts, quadripartite vaulting in 3 bays, centre one narrow. Arcaded seating around east end, 5 bays to sides, 7 to end, marble shafts, trefoil heads, hoodmoulds, leaf diapering to back of all but corner seats and over arches on east wall; aumbry to south. Purbeck marble gradines to communion table, set forward of east wall. Boarded doors under trefoil heads to vestry and south chapel: 6-bay open wooden screen behind choir stalls. Marble vaulting shafts to south chapel, one square and one narrow bay: central column. North chapel 2-bay, marble vaulting shafts, 5-part vaults (no central column). Stone bench seat to wall, 5 cinquefoiled recesses in lower part, carved spandrels over on east wall. String course: blind windows to east: three C18 marble wall monuments. In centre large altar tomb by Lough: up 2 stone steps, plinth, blind arcading to sides, corner angels and paired figures in centre of long sides; brass strip for inscription, effigies of C. Hanbury-Tracy, first Baron Sudeley (builder of Toddington Manor, q.v.) and his wife. Effigies 1865, chest below 1872. Semi-octagonal stone pulpit, blind arcading to sides, clustered column below: carved circular font on clustered column, using Derbyshire Spar: stone gadrooned wine-glass font by north chapel. East window by Hardman, north-west in nave by Clayton and Bell (1913). Various loose effigies and parts of C17 building or monument in north chapel, also carved stops for hoodmoulds. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and The Forest of Dean, 1970; Rev P.L.C. Richards, St Andrews Church, Toddington, 1981)
Listing NGR: SP0350633083
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Richards, P L C , St Andrew's Church Toddington, (1981)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing