THE SCHOOLHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1154948
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
01-Sep-1988
Statutory Address:
THE SCHOOLHOUSE, THE BUTTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SCHOOLHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154948 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jun-2019 at 22:07:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE SCHOOLHOUSE, THE BUTTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Warkworth
National Grid Reference:
NU 24895 06146

Details

NU 2406 WARKWORTH THE BUTTS (East side)

21/254 The Schoolhouse (formerly listed 10.1.53 as The Borough School) GV II

Former Borough School, dated 1736. Squared stone with cut dressings; rear elevation concrete-faced and rendered. Pantile roof with stone slates to eaves at rear; Welsh slates on porch; brick stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Centre top-glazed 5-panel door; sunk lintel panel with worn inscription (now largely illegible) 'This house was built by George Lawson of Gloster Hill who gave it to the town for a school-house, 1736'. 2-light mullioned window above, holding 6-pane casements. End bays have 12-pane Yorkshire sashes. All openings in chamfered block surrounds. Raised reverse-stepped gable copings; banded right end stack, rebuilt left end stack. Small porch at left end with renewed door. Left return shows C20 casements in old openings on ground and 1st floors.

Historical Note: The building served as the Borough School until c.1890; in the early C20 it served as a village meeting room.



Listing NGR: NU2489506146

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237145
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing