EMBLETON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1154981

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: EMBLETON HALL, FRONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of EMBLETON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154981 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 16:40:11.

Location

Statutory Address: EMBLETON HALL, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Longframlington

National Grid Reference: NU 13049 01370

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/06/2015

NU 10 SW 5/148

LONGFRAMLINGTON, FRONT STREET (East side), Embleton Hall

(Formerly listed as Embleton Hall Hotel and previously listed as Embleton Hall)

21/10/53

GV II

House. c.1730 for Thomas Embleton, extended to east in later C18; larger new house built on south of C18 extension in 1893 for Dr. J.C.J. Fenwick. C18 part squared stone with tooled dressings, C19 part snecked stone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs. Overall L-plan. 1893 house in free Tudor style.

Old house (now west wing) 2 storeys, 5 bays, not quite symmetrical. Rusticated quoins, sill bands. Left-of-centre doorway, with lugged architrave and pulvinated frieze between pilasters carrying pedimented hood on consoles, now blocked with small 12-pane sash window inserted; 12-pane sashes, the upper renewed, in architraves. Coped left gable on moulded kneelers; stepped-and- corniced left end and ridge stacks. 2-bay C18 extension to right hidden by 1893 building, except for right end coped gable with stepped-and-corniced stack. Left return of old house shows blocked lst-floor door and attic window; rear elevation shows original central rear wing with stepped-and-corniced gable stack.

West (entrance) front of 1893 house 2 storeys, 2 + 2 bays. Plinth, sill bands. Twin-gabled right part set forward, with projecting porch; panelled door in architrave with paterae between engaged columns carrying pediment with phoenix crest. Large mullioned-and-transomed stair window over porch and projecting chimney breast to right. Other windows mostly plain sashes. Coped gables with moulded kneelers. Other elevations show similar detail.

Interior. West ground floor room of original house has contemporary panelling and cornice; fluted pilasters flank fireplace and former door position opposite; domed cupboard, with shaped shelves, alongside fireplace. East room has large stone fireplace. One bedroom has panelled wall. 1893 house has largely-unaltered interior including entrance hall with open-well stair and coffered ceiling; marble fireplaces.



Listing NGR: NU1304901370

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236817

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing