ARLINGTON MANOR WITH FORECOURT WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1155018

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Statutory Address: ARLINGTON MANOR WITH FORECOURT WALL, A433

Statutory Address: ARLINGTON MANOR WITH FORECOURT WALL, HAWKERS HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ARLINGTON MANOR WITH FORECOURT WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155018 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 03:01:13.

Location

Statutory Address: ARLINGTON MANOR WITH FORECOURT WALL, A433

Statutory Address: ARLINGTON MANOR WITH FORECOURT WALL, HAWKERS HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Bibury

National Grid Reference: SP 11247 06727

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIBURY A433, Arlington SP 1006-1106 (south side) 11/26 Arlington Manor with forecourt wall 23.1.52 GV II Manor house. Barn attached to rear (q.v.). Early-mid C17; c1700 addition. Ashlar and random rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey with attic; cellar to earliest part. Service additions to rear and south east end. South west front: 2-window fenestration to earlier house to left; 2-light ovolo moulded mullioned casement in full gable to left, 3- light ovolo moulded upper floor casements below and to right. Restored ground floor 3-light to left; 2-light ovolo moulded casement to right, all having hoodmoulds. Four-window fenestration to c1700 ashlar-fronted addition to right, all cross windows. Doorway to left of centre with moulded flat stone porch hood and C20 door. Plain upper floor level band. Two gabled roof dormers. Ridge-mounted chimneys with plain caps to ends of c1700 addition. Ashlar forecourt wall with coped top, swept up to monolithic gatepiers with ball finials; wrought iron gate. Single- storey service outbuilding to right with hipped roof and 3-light casement. South east end: attached outbuilding has moulded doorway with 3-light ovolo moulded casement to right. Rear: single-storey with attic service wing projecting from rear of c1700 range. Gable end has right part recessed with 2-light ovolo moulded casement; single-light above. Timber casements with timber lintels to left part of gable. Full gable with chimney to rear of C17 house. North west (road) end: gable end with indications of removed single-window fenestration; 2 small chamfered cellar openings with iron bars. Interior: large fireplace with timber lintel in c1700 house flanked by doors in fielded panelling. Fine cobble flooring to large cellar. Addition of c1700 appears to be replacement for part of earlier building, some mullioned casements being reused on service outbuildings. (A.R.J. Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp.21-44.)

Listing NGR: SP1124706727

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 127272

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 21-44

End of official listing