WYLAM FORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1155062
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1975
Statutory Address:
WYLAM FORGE, WEST VIEW

Map

Ordnance survey map of WYLAM FORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155062 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 19:29:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
WYLAM FORGE, WEST VIEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wylam
National Grid Reference:
NZ 11756 64555

Details

The following building shall be down graded from grade II* (star) to grade II.

NZ 16 SW WYLAM WEST VIEW

19/160 Wylam Forge 11/9/75 II

------------------------------------

NZ 16 SW WYLAM WEST VIEW

19/160 Wylam Forge

11/9/75 II*



Formerly forge, part of workshops at Wylam Colliery, now part of garage. Late C18 or early C19. Random rubble with pantile and asbestos roof. Single storey. 2 rooms. Left room has window with old brick sill and no frame. Double entry to right also without door. Right room has central double doors and large flanking shuttered windows with old brick sills. Blacksmith's window on left return and Yorkshire sash to rear. Gabled roof.

The last remaining part of the buildings where William Hedley built Puffing Billy and Wylam Dilly.

Included for historical interest.

Timothy Hackworth, John Foster and William Hedley built the first Wylam engine in 1811, the first properly useful steam locomotive, followed by the preserved puffing Billy and Wylam DIlly in 1814-15.

Listing NGR: NZ1175664555

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239533
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/14976/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Hogg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].