POLYPHANT BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1155097

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1991

Statutory Address: POLYPHANT BRIDGE, HICKSMILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of POLYPHANT BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155097 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 17:19:06.

Location

Statutory Address: POLYPHANT BRIDGE, HICKSMILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lewannick

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: South Petherwin

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Trewen

National Grid Reference: SX2664382309

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH PETHERWIN

SX28SE

1/8

Hicksmill

Polyphant bridge

II

Road Bridge over River Inny. Probably C17 west span rebuilt in 1847. Slate rubble with dressed slate arch rings and with granite coping. Two span bridge with carriageway about 3.7 metres wide. The original C17 has round arch with recessed dressed slate rubble arch ring with small granite keystone and chamfered imposts. The 1847 rebuilt west arch has dressed slate round arch ring. Central pier has triangular cutwater on both sides. Parapet with rounded granite coping, reduced in height over the long causeway abutments and replaced by granite posts and steel tube rails.

History: The west arch was rebuilt after a flood on 8th July 1847, when all the other bridges on the River Inny were destroyed, except for Trekelland Bridge, South Petherwin (qv). Polyphant Bridge carried the main road from Launceston to Bodmin until a detour was made via 'Two Bridges' in the early C19. The River Inny is a tributary of the Tamar.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 68413

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, Coates, H, Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, (1928), 56

End of official listing