PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1155143

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1961

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155143 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 01:38:51.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Acton Turville

National Grid Reference: ST 80844 80865

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ACTON TURVILLE C.P. THE STREET ST 88 SW (north side) 7/4 Parish Church of St Mary 3.3.61 G.V. II*

Parish Church (C of E). C12th; altered C13th and C15th; restored and rebuilt, with the addition of the north aisle and vestry in 1853 by T H Wyatt. rubble; Cotswold stone slate roof with coped raised verges. Nave; Chancel; south porch and north aisle. Nave: C15th square headed 3-light window with cusped ogee heads to lights, under drip mould. South porch: coursed, squared rubble; chamfered 2-centred arch under drip mould; south doorway; chamfered doorcase with Caernarvon arch, C14th image niche inserted in tympanum of semi-circular head which has dog-tooth moulding. Chancel: blocked priest's door and 2 simple lancet windows with chamfered surrounds; the one to the right is under a drip mould. North aisle: 2 C15th style 2 - and 3-light windows; reinserted north door with semi-circular head and dog-tooth moulding. Elaborate Early English bell turret on east gable of nave (said to have been put there in 1853 on the demolition of the central tower):ashlar; stone spirelet, with cylindrical pinnacles, rests on 4 piers; Early English chancel arch; glass, furniture and pulpit all 1912; plain Romanesque circular font on restored (1912) base.



Listing NGR: ST8084480865

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 34220

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing