ABLINGTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1155160
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1952
Statutory Address:
ABLINGTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ABLINGTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155160 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 18:17:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
ABLINGTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Bibury
National Grid Reference:
SP 10730 07712

Details

BIBURY ABLINGTON SP 1007-1107 10/51 Ablington House 23.1.52 GV II Detached house. Mid C17; late C18 and mid C19 additions; C20 alterations. Random rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof, concrete tile to rear service wing. Two-storey with attic; 2-storey front porch and rear staircase additions. Large 2-storey with attic west cross wing; east wing converted from former coach house; long single-storey rear wing. Front: earliest part to centre has 2 gables with ball finials. Single- window fenestration arranged below each gable, all ovolo moulded casements with hoodmoulds. Three-light to ground and upper floor except for 2+2-light to ground floor, right; 2-light to attic, some with relieving arches. Central C20 two-storey flat-roofed porch with Tudor arched doorway and plank door; cross window above. Rectangular chimneys with moulded caps, that to end having paired shafts, indicating original gable ends of house. Gable end to west cross wing has ball finial and restored mullioned fenestration; blocked doorway to ground floor. C20 mullioned fenestration to east wing. West end: single 3-light mullioned casement to each floor of wing; 2 hipped roofed dormers. C20 restored single-storey wing to left. Scattered segmental arched fenestration to servicec wing. Rear: gabled stair-wing has single-light ovolo moulded casements with hoodmoulds. Interior: large C17 Tudor arched fireplace to main room with decorated moulding stops. Barn stands to north east (q.v.) and gatepiers to south (q.v.) on axis of formal garden laid out on both sides of road.

Listing NGR: SP1073007712

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
127297
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].