10, THE AVENUE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1155225

Date first listed: 15-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: 10, THE AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 10, THE AVENUE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155225 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 06:36:32.

Location

Statutory Address: 10, THE AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarland

National Grid Reference: NU 16348 03559

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON-ON-THE-MOOR THE AVENUE NU 10 SE (West side) Swarland 6/174 No. 10 II

Bungalow, 1936 by M.P. Reavell for the Fountains Abbey Settlers Society. Brick, rendered and whitewashed; pantile roof. L-plan. 3 bays. Central renewed part-glazed door with 12-pane sash and 2 small windows to right; projecting left bay shows 12-pane sash under gable with plain bargeboards. Ridge stack on each part of roof. Left return shows 12-pane sash and gable with plain bargeboards; right return shows doorway and small window under similar gable. 3-bay rear elevation shows 12-pane sashes, paired at left end.

Listed for historical interest. The Fountains Abbey Settlers Society was established in 1934 by Commander Clare Vyner to provide a rural settlement for unemployed craftsmen from Tyneside. 77 houses were built, mostly with attached lX acre plots and tenanted by families from Gateshead and elsewhere. The scheme was not a total success, many tenants soon returning to Tyneside.

Listing NGR: NU1634803559

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236843

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing