UPTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1155320
Date first listed:
06-Sep-1954
Statutory Address:
UPTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of UPTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155320 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 07:17:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
UPTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Tetbury Upton
National Grid Reference:
ST 88078 95288

Details

ST 89 NE TETBURY UPTON TETBURY UPTON VILLAGE

3/348 Upton House

6.9.54

GV II*

Large country house. 1752 for Nathaniel Cripps, possibly by John Strahan, or John Wood. Coursed rubble stone with south front faced in ashlar, Cotswold stone-slate roof, multiple stone stacks. Square with entrance on west side under late C19 porch with rusticated pilasters, and main front to south. Symmetrical design in Classical style. 3 storeys, 7 windows. Projecting moulded cornice with dentils, balustraded parapet, pediment with coat of arms in tympanum over 3 central projecting bays with 4 Ionic pilasters. Rusticated ground floor and quoin strips. Ground floor has central semi-circular headed doorway with pediment on brackets and double half-glazed doors and keystone and voussoirs, flanking 12-pane sashes on central projection and two 15-pane sashes to each side all with keystones and voussoirs. 1st floor has seven 12-pane sashes, each flanked with Ionic pilasters with cornice and pediment, (central pediment being segmental) and with balustraded apron. 2nd (attic) floor has 3 oval keyed oculi in centre with moulded architraves, and to each side 2 cambered head windows with keystone, impost blocks and moulded architrave. All with plain glass. Interior on south side: Central 2-storey saloon with very fine original plasterwork in Classical design with fluted Corinthian pilasters, pedimented doorcases, swags of fruit and flowers, Rococo panels and central fireplace with carved head in centre. Single storey room to each side, altered to left but intact to right with similar quality and style plasterwork. (David Verey, Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: ST8807895288

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
128625
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire The Cotswolds, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].