MATFEN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1155328

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: MATFEN HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MATFEN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155328 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 06:38:00.

Location

Statutory Address: MATFEN HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Matfen

National Grid Reference: NZ 03158 71652

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MATFEN MATFEN NZ 07 SW

14/187 Matfen Hall

27.8.52

GV II*

Country house. 1828-30 by Rickman, completed by Sir Edward Blackett for himself. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roof. Jacobethan style externally. Symmetrical main block with large irregular ranges around 2 courtyards on the west side.

South front: Main block, 2 storeys plus attics; 5 bays with each bay breaking forward from wall face. Centre and outer bays have 2-storey canted bay windows; all windows are mullioned-and-transomed with roll-moulded surrounds, and each bay has parapet with pierced diamond-shaped panels; shaped gables over outer bays. Similar detail to 3-bay section recessed on left. Gabled roof with many tall, octagonal corniced stacks.

Entrance front (North): Main block 3 storeys, 7 bays. Projecting central porch tower; Tudor-arched doorway with Blackett shield and motto above and an elaborate canted oriel window on 1st floor. Projecting on right a symmetrical 6-bay service wing with 3-storey outer bays and centre with mullion-and-transom crosses on ground floor and gabled half-dormers above. Beyond this the stable court with 4 Tudor-arched carriage entries.

Interior: very large, full-height Gothic hall with 2 tiers of pointed arches along south side, lst-floor windows with Geometric tracery on north and east sides and a huge Geometric window with stained glass,on west side; Gothic oak staircase with castellated newels; hammer-beam roof. Drawing room has white marble fireplace by Chantrey with female figures in the jambs and shells in the frieze. Former library has early C17 fireplace with terms, and overmantel with strapwork and demi-figures. In west wing a late C17 staircase with twisted balusters; also a very slender cantilevered spiral stair with sweeping smooth soffit.

Now used as a Cheshire Home.

Listing NGR: NZ0315871652

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 238671

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing