Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1155369

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1969

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155369 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 08:24:32.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Holy Island

National Grid Reference: NU 12566 41776


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



12/18 Church of St. Mary 22/12/69


Parish Church. C12 and C13 incorporating earlier masonry. Bellcote C18. Random rubble nave, chancel dressed stone, bellcote ashlar. Lakeland slate roof. Nave, aisle, chancel, south porch and north vestry.

West end of nave has large C19 lancet flanked by giant offset buttresses which join above to form an arch. Above this the C18 bellcote with keyed round-arched openings and stone pyramid roof. Smaller buttresses to aisles.

4-bay nave with Victorian south porch. Victorian lancets and one large blocked window. Buttresses between. North side of nave has old vestry to right and 2 windows with Y-tracery. North aisle east window is 3-light.

Chancel south side has blocked priest's door and small low side lancet. 3 lancets with continuous hoodmoulds. East end has 3 stepped lancets with hoodmoulds, buttresses between. 2 lancets and low side window on north side.

Gabled roof with flat coping and cross finials. Vane on bellcote. Aisle roofs low-pitched with parapets.

Interior has C13 south door with continuous chamfer. 4-bay arcades. North arcade of c.1200 with round piers and capitals. 3 chamfered round arches with banded pink and white voussoirs; west bay is pointed arch, a C13 extension.

South arcade has hollow-chamfered pointed arches and octagonal piers. Double chamfered C13 chancel arch. Remains of Saxon chancel arch visible above; also Saxon masonry. Trefoiled piscina in south aisle. Large medieval grave cover set in chancel north wall. East window by Mayer of Munich, chancel south window by Atkinson. Hatchments with arms of Selby, Haggerston and Askew families in chancel. Victorian oil lamps on brackets in chancel. Large C18 baluster font. Painted wood memorial to Jane Moffitt 1797 in south aisle.

Listing NGR: NU1256441775


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 237727

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing