This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1155383



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 132589

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



7/33 Daneway Inn


Inn. 1784. Random rubble limestone (painted); rebuilt brick chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey; parallel range to rear. Front: scattered casement fenestration and 2 doorways with plank doors, all with keyed rusticated stone lintels. Timber casements to ground floor; leaded iron casements in timber frames to upper floor. Lower 2-storey part at south-west end has single timber casement to each floor, timber lintel to ground floor extending over doorway with plank door. Three ridge-mounted chimneys. Lean- to added at north-east end. Rear: parallel-roofed addition increased in height to 2-storey in C19. Other lean-to outshuts with mixed casement fenestration. Interior not inspected. Built for Thames and Severn Canal as lodging house for bricklayers building nearby Sapperton canal tunnel. Became Bricklayers' Arms in 1807. (M.A. Handford and D.J. Viner, Stroudwater and Thames and Severn Canals Towpath Guide, 1984; and H. Household, The Thames and Severn Canal, 1969).

Listing NGR: SO9387803426

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Handford, M A, Viner, D J, Stroudwater and Thames and Severn Canals Towpath Guide, (1984)
Household, H, The Thames and Severn Canal, (1969)

National Grid Reference: SO 93878 03426


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155383 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 03:32:47.

End of official listing