CLENNEL HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1155405

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1953

Statutory Address: CLENNEL HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLENNEL HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155405 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 15:44:43.

Location

Statutory Address: CLENNEL HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Alwinton

National Grid Reference: NT 92904 07161

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIDDLESTONE CLENNEL NT 90 NW 14/29 Clennel Hall 21/10/53 II

House. Originally a tower house with attached house of 1567. Large additions of 1895 for Anthony Wilkinson.

Random rubble with Welsh slate roofs.

Irregular plan. Additions are in Tudor style. 3 storeys.

Garden front has C16 double-depth plan house to left and tower recessed to right. Single-storey corridor in front of tower and single-storey pavilion to right are of 1895.

C16 doorway, almost central in section of 1567, has multi-moulded surround. Scattered fenestration includeds 2-light mullioned windows and probably entirely Victorian mullioned-and-transomed crosses.

Irregular gabled roofs with tall corniced stacks.

Interior: thick walls to tower, segmental-vaulted basement. C16 or C17 plaster panel of hunting scene over window in C16 section. In tower ground floor a 2-light mullioned window. Another on 1st floor and also a stone C17 fireplace with bold bolection-moulded surround. On 2nd floor a large C16 fireplace with Tudor-arched lintel and moulder surround.

Northumberland County History Vol. XIV.

Upper Coquetdale: Dippie Dixon. Frank Graham. 1974.

Listing NGR: NT9290407161

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236115

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Graham, F, Upper Coquetdale, (1974)
Dodds Hope, M, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parishes of Alnham Chatton Chillingham Eglingham Ilderton Ingram and Whittingham The Chapelries of Lowick and Doddington, , Vol. 14, (1935)

End of official listing