RETAINING WALL 40M NORTH WEST OF WOODLANDS FARM HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1155435
Date first listed:
04-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
RETAINING WALL 40M NORTH WEST OF WOODLANDS FARM HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RETAINING WALL 40M NORTH WEST OF WOODLANDS FARM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155435 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 00:03:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
RETAINING WALL 40M NORTH WEST OF WOODLANDS FARM HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
East Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Woodlands
National Grid Reference:
SU 04552 08216

Details

SU OO NW WOODLANDS WOODLANDS FARM

5/166 Retaining wall 40 m north west of Woodlands 16.5.85 Farm House

GV II

Retaining wall. Early C16 or earlier, raised c.1710 and C19. Large squared stone blocks laid to courses; raised in thin red bricks laid English bond (C18) and larger bricks laid Flemish bond (C19). Extends south towards west wall of north block of house (5/163), and east in line with north end of Woodlands Farmhouse. Probably originated as north west corner of range parallel to present farmhouse part of same building as north part of 5/163, but different materials suggest possibility of yet earlier origin. Raising of c.1710 (dated by com- parison with other buildings on site) probably connected with reconstruction of early range as one of two office ranges flanking approach to main house of c.1710; demolished by c.1840 after which what survives has functioned as a retaining wall. Two offset foundation courses, returning eastwards parallel to slope of ground to meet level square offset which on west defines a plinth. (For general history of site see RCHM Dorset 5 (1975), p.112.)

Listing NGR: SU0455208216

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
107625
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1975), 112

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].