PARKEND BRIDGE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1155439
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
PARKEND BRIDGE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARKEND BRIDGE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155439 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 00:04:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARKEND BRIDGE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Moreton Valence
National Grid Reference:
SO 77705 10639

Details

MORETON VALENCE - SO 71 SE 3/222 Parkend Bridge House II Bridgekeeper's house at Parkend Bridge on Gloucester and Sharpness Canal. Early C19, enlarged probably in C20. Designed possibly by Robert Mylne, first principal engineer to the Gloucester and Berkeley Canal Company. Rendered, artificial slate roof, small rendered stacks. Originally probably in same style as other bridgekeepers' houses, a small cruciform structure with shallow pediment to each face presenting single storey towards canal with 2 storeys to remaining sides, but altered to canal (west), and to north with extension with three 16-pane sashes towards canal. Pediment with plain frieze and cornice remains to canal, with 2 Doric fluted columns, but not in antis. Probably original 6-pane door behind columns, middle pair of panels glazed. Small rear lean-to and scattered fenestration. Survey work for the original canal route from Gloucester to Berkeley was carried out in 1793 by Mylne. In 1813 the terminal point was changed to Sharpness and the canal opened in 1827. (Sharpness, centenary booklet, 1974, published by British Waterways Board)

Listing NGR: SO7770510639

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
132481
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'British Waterways Board' in Sharpness centenary booklet, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/05995/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jonathan Briggs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].