WALLED GARDEN 450 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1155443

Date first listed: 15-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: WALLED GARDEN 450 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE HALL, NEWTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALLED GARDEN 450 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155443 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 07:04:38.

Location

Statutory Address: WALLED GARDEN 450 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE HALL, NEWTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarland

National Grid Reference: NU 17013 04336

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON-ON-THE-MOOR NEWTON HALL NU 10 SE 6/192 Walled garden 450 metres south- east of the Hall

II

Walled garden. Late C18, altered late C19. Brick in stretcher bond, with stone dressings and squared stone external face. Irregular quadrangle in plan. Tall walls with flat slab coping. Main entrance near north end of west wall has re-set 1771 lintel externally and internal carved timber lintel dated MCM on carved corbels with initials SFW and CW; older slab with Widdrington crest above, under raised and stepped section of wall with moulded finial. Near north end of east wall is large circular doorway to rebuilt timber summerhouse. Lower south wall has central gateway with pyramid-capped piers of tooled-and-margined ashlar; set in external face east of gate is 1757 sundial in dentil brick surround, and lionmask fountain in pedimented surround under coping stepped up to acorn finial. L-shaped extension of east wall beyond south-east corner has boarded door in alternating-block surround with Widdrington arms above and blocking course with acorn finial. External face of north wall shows blocked ducts and furnace arches; 4 shaped ceramic chimneypots on wall top. West part of south wall, with attached ruinous greenhouses and outbuildings, is not of interest.

Listing NGR: NU1701304336

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236861

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing