THE MANSION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1155471

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1960

Statutory Address: THE MANSION, FAR WELLS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANSION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155471 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 04:36:30.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANSION, FAR WELLS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt

National Grid Reference: SO 90278 05602

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

so 9005 BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT FAR WELLS ROAD, Bisley Village (east side)

13/46 The Mansion

28.6.60

II*

Large detached house. Part C17; mainly rebuilt c1730; early C19 additions. Ashlar limestone; coursed, squared and dressed rubble; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey with attic; cellar at south east end. South west front: main c1730 range to right with 5-window fenestration, all 8-pane sashes, probably orginally 18-pane, with shouldered and eaved moulded stone architraves and bullnosed sills; triple keystones to ground floor linked with upper floor level moulded band, those to upper floor running over moulded and coved eaves. Alternating rusticated quoins. Central doorweay with moulded architraves and 6-panel moulded door below segmental pedimented porch hood on shaped brackets, inscribed in tympanum 'W & J P MCMXXXIX', probably replacing Regency doorway with fanlight. Roof hipped to right; gable end to left with chimney having central pilaster to each face and entablature top. Range extended to left by one window c1820 with sashes having marginal glazing bars and plain architraves; plain floor level bands. South east side: 4-window fenestration as to front, left part being end of c1730 range, right - beyond central alternating quoin strip - being slightly later refacing of C17 house. Two gabled roof dormers with leaded casements; 2 ridge-mounted chimneys with pilasters and mouldings, that to projecting north east gable end being replacement for C17 stack. Cellar plinth with 2 moulded 2-light casements. Rear: parallel-roofed rear range mainly early C19 with 12-pane sash fenestration. Tall eaves- mounted chimney with swept base. Interior: north east gable has large C17 fireplace internally, with timber lintel and stone jambs with ogee stops. Fine c1730 staircase with 2 barleysugar balusters per tread, scrolled strings, moulded and ramped handrails. Fluted columnar newels with matching pilasters in dado panelling. Part of staircase forming imperial stair is C20 addition, copying detail of original. Many Regency doorcases. Built on site of ancient manor of Stokesend. Various medieval fragments have been unearthed. (N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 4-40; and M.A. Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937)

Listing NGR: SO9027805602

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 132602

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1976), 4-40
Rudd, MA , Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, (1935)

End of official listing