SHARPE'S FOLLY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1155472
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
29-May-1987
Statutory Address:
SHARPE'S FOLLY

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHARPE'S FOLLY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155472 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 03:09:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHARPE'S FOLLY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whitton and Tosson
National Grid Reference:
NU 05823 00939

Details

TOSSON WHITTON NU 00 SE 4/97 Sharpe's Folly (Formerly listed as 21.10.53 Sharp's Folly)

GV II*

Folly. Probably 1720s, by Archdeacon Sharpe, Rector of Rothbury. Ashlar. Round tower c30 ft high.

Blocked round-headed doorway with moulded keystone and slightly chamfered surround. Very small round windows light the staircase. High up, 4 round-headed windows with raised imposts and slightly chamfered surrounds; joinery has almost gone. Boldly projecting cornice, and castellated parapet.

Interior has cantilevered stone stair.

Said to have been built partly to alleviate local unemployment and partly to satisfy the Archdeacon's taste for astronomy. Probably the earliest folly in the county.

Hodgson J. : History of Northumberland, Part II Vol I : Newcastle : 1827.

Listing NGR: NU0582300939

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236336
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crawford Hodgson, J, 'A History of Northumberland' in Hexhamshire Part II Hexham Whitley Chapel Allendale and St John Lee and the Parish of Chollerton the Chapelry of Kirkheaton the Parish of Throcrington, , Vol. 1, (1897)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02779/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Manekshaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].