THE CHANTRY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1155494

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1960

Statutory Address: THE CHANTRY, FAR WELLS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CHANTRY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155494 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 11:34:52.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CHANTRY, FAR WELLS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt

National Grid Reference: SO 90189 05549

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 9005 BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT FAR WELLS ROAD, Bisley Village (west side)

13/48 The Chantry

28.6.60

II

Large detached house. Part medieval, extensively rebuilt mid C17; to form L-plan. Late C19 addition. Random and coursed rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Main east-west range, 2-storey with attic; central south wing. North side: 2- storey gabled porch to right of centre with square-headed chamfered opening with hoodmould; similar doorway within has mutilated remains of Agnus Dei carved on stone lintel. Three-light recessed chamfered mullioned casements with hoodmoulds either side of porch. Single-storey outbuilding projects forward to left from below upper floor 2-light to main range. Three ridge-mounted chimneys with moulded caps. South side: single-window fenestration to main range set either side of central late C19 projecting wing, C19 mullioned casement to ground floor, 2 and 3-light original casements above. Two end gables to C19 wing, right set back, each with mullioned or transomed fenestration. West end: parapet gabled end with off-centre ground floor single-light casement; gable-mounted chimney with moulded cap. Interior not inspected. Thought originally to have been the house of chantry priests, the chantry being that at the Church of All Saints (q.v.) demolished in C19. (N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley in V.C.H. Glos xi, 1976, pp 4-40; and M.A. Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937)

Listing NGR: SO9018905549

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 132604

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1976), 4-40
Rudd, MA , Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, (1935)

End of official listing