CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1155514
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155514 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 22:26:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish:
Abberley
National Grid Reference:
SO 75170 68003

Details

SO 76 NW ABBERLEY CP ABBERLEY

3/14 Church of St Mary

-

- II

Parish church. 1850-52 by J J Cole, rebuilt with alterations after a fire in 1876, also by Cole. Ashlar, slate roofs now tarred. In a late C13 style and consisting of south-west tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, south and north chapels and vestry. Tower of 3 stages with setback buttresses and plain, broached spire; two single light windows to bell chamber, single light to second stage and 2-light south, either plain lancets or plain Geometrical style. Project- ing gabled south porch with setback buttresses, outer doorway of 2 orders with stiff-leaf capitals, arch enriched with clusters of fleur-de-lys. 5 bay south and north aisles (2 bay of south-aisle obscured by tower and porch), of 2-light Geometrical style windows, with buttresses between; square bell tower projects towards west end of north aisle. Chancel 5-light Geometrical style east window with cusped circles above. Interior Polished circular columns with stiff-leaf capitals to the arcades. 2-bay open screen to south chapel with cusped tracery on slender shafts. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner arch resting on triple polished shafts, all with leaf capitals. Pulpit and pews of 1870s. Hexagonal stone font. (BoE, 1968).

Listing NGR: SO7517068003

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
152240
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16420/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].