CHESTERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1155585

Date first listed: 24-May-1988

Statutory Address: CHESTERS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHESTERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155585 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 08:51:23.

Location

Statutory Address: CHESTERS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Humshaugh

National Grid Reference: NY 90922 70251

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUMSHAUGH CHESTERS NY 9070 14/219 Chesters

GV II*

Country house, 1771 by John Carr for John Clayton, remodelled with major extensions 1891 by Norman Shaw. Ashlar; Lakeland slate roofs. Square 1771 block with 5 1891 wings, 3 set diagonally at angles and 2 to rear; extensions in earlier C18 style.

South front in 3 parts: centre is 1771 house, 3 storeys, 4 bays, symmetrical. Central Tuscan porch with cornice extended over narrow sashes to either sides, and pediment; doorway now holds 9-pane sash. End bays have full-height canted bay windows with band and sill bands, and pyramidal roofs. 12-pane sashes to lower floors, 6-pane above. Modillion eaves cornice. Hipped roof with tall corniced lateral stacks. Wings each 2 storeys, 3 bays + 1 bay link to centre: plinth, sill bands, moulded eaves cornice. Broad end pilasters with channeled rustication. Ground floors of link bays with rustication forming voussoirs of arched openings with double doors and radial-glazed fanlights; each wing has central tripartite sash on ground floor, 12-pane sashes above, all in rusticated surrounds, the lower with keystones. Hipped roofs. Returns show triplets of similar sashes.

West front shows similar detail in curved facade, the centre 3 bays recessed behind giant Ionic colonnade in antis, with paired sashes; oculi in attics. Scattered fenestration in wings.

Rear elevation. Centre 1771 block has Ionic loggia with paired columns in antis (centre bay now glazed); tripartite stair window under round arch above, flanked by 12- and 8-pane sashes; 6- and 4- pane sashes to 2nd floors. Wings have pedimented gables with oculi; returns show Venetian windows in heavy rusticated surrounds.

Interior: Entrance hall with Roman Doric screen and Shaw-type freestone fireplace. Large panelled library, dining room and drawing room; all decorative features by Shaw in pastiche of C18 style, but on a larger scale. Groin- vaulted lobbies between principal rooms. Stair with very slender turned balusters, ramped moulded handrail and carved tread ends.

Listing NGR: NY9092270251

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 239978

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing