This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE SWAN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE SWAN

List entry Number: 1155672

Location

THE SWAN, BURFORD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lechlade

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Jul-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 128982

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 2199 LECHLADE BURFORD STREET (west side)

10/137 The Swan (formerly listed as Swan Hotel)

4.6.52

GV II

Inn. Recorded since 1513, existing buildings probably of early C18 to right and originally late C17 frontage, altered after fire in early C20, to left. Two buildings with carriage arch in right hand building, both of coursed rubble stone partly dressed and with several deep courses, stone slate roof. Right hand building has stone end stack partly external to right, brick end stack to left. Left hand building has external stone stack with brick flue now incorporated in roof of The Byte to south (q.v.). Left hand side of single front range and long rear extension, 2 storeys and attic. Two large gables rising over restored 6-light stone mullion canted bays of 2 storeys, with 2-light stone mullion with square hoodmould in each gable. Central doorcase with moulded stone jambs and lintel and flat hood on console brackets. All restored early C20 after fire. Right hand side of single range with inn on first floor only. Steep pitched roof with very elaborately carved stone eaves cornice, three 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars in moulded stone surrounds. Large carriage arch to left on ground floor, with shop front to right, which forms part of Pigeon Close (The Paper Shop) (q.v.). Rear extension on left hand side includes former stable and loft with partially hipped stone slate roof and flight of stone steps to rear to loft door.

Listing NGR: SU2141599593

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 21419 99595

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155672 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 06:09:54.

End of official listing