Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155708.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2021 at 16:59:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cotswold (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 11870 06493


BIBURY BIBURY VILLAGE SP 1006-1106 11/64 Bibury Court Hotel (Formerly listed as Bibury Court) 23.1.52 GV Former large country house, now hotel. Late C16; large additional range and wing dated 1633 for Sir Thomas Sackville. Interior remodelled c1759 for Estcourt Cresswell; further C19 addition and alterations; c1922 interior alterations by Nightingale and Kennedy. Ashlar limestone; roughcast render; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Main 2-storey with attic north-south range; south wing. North wing formed from C16 house; late C19 2-storey north wing. East front: symmetrical centre flanked by asymmetrical - although balanced - north and south wings. Three gables with moulded parapets and finials to main range, central gable being shaped with 2-storey porch below having round arched doorway set between Tuscan pilasters all having Serlian rustication; ball finials to pilasters above continuous ground floor entablature. Pedimented tablet over doorway contains Sackville arms and is dated 'ANO DNI : 1633' on frieze; Sackville initials carved on oval set in tympanum. Mullioned and transomed casement to upper floor of porch with second continuous entablature over; crenellated parapet. Four-light wide mullioned and transomed casements to 2-storey rectangular bays in line with outer gables, also with crenellated parapet; 3-light cavetto mullioned attic casements with floating cornices in gables. Flanking 2- Light wide cross windows to main range wall, either side of each bay. Contemporary 1633 south wing projects forward with 2 forecourt-facing gables; 2 to east elevation of different sizes, right with 2-storey bay window set below. Entablatures continued from main range. Late C16 house forms north wing to right with 2 forecourt-facing gables, 2-window fenestration below generally matching that to main range although set at lower levels. Two gables of different sizes to east front, left with original ground floor 3-light casement with hoodmould, mullioned and transomed casement to upper floor and 3-light to attic. Inserted upper floor 12-pane sash below right gable. C20 rebuilt service wing to right possibly incorporates earlier structure. Many rainwater heads dated 1759. South end and rear: irregular with many gables, entirely roughcast rendered with continuous drip moulds to south end only. Some gables at south end have rectangular recess in gable apex. Fenestration generally mullioned and transomed with mullioned attic casements, all with hoodmoulds. Several gables have 2 or 3 diagonal chimney shafts with moulded caps. c1922 alterations include glazed arcade to part of rear elevation. Interior: mostly results from c1922 with some more recent alterations in conversion to hotel. Former library has interesting French Art Deco panelling and decoration by Dominic. One upper floor room at north end retains mid C18 decorative plasterwork to ceiling and contemporary fireplace. Some late C16 moulded stone doorways in north wing. Plastered cross-vaulted ceilings in attics of south wing. Picturesque position alongside river at east end of village. Two buildings contemporary with late C16 house stand to north: outbuilding and stable (q.v.) and Coach House Bar (q.v.). (A.D., article in Country Life, 7th September 1912; A.R.J. Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos vii, 1981, pp.21-44; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979).

Listing NGR: SP1187006493


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 21-44
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Country Life' in 7 September, (1912)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04083/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr H. W. Anderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].