TERRACE WALLS ADJOINING AND TO EAST OF THE MANSION APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES LONG

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1155774
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
TERRACE WALLS ADJOINING AND TO EAST OF THE MANSION APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES LONG

Map

Ordnance survey map of TERRACE WALLS ADJOINING AND TO EAST OF THE MANSION APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES LONG
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 05:37:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
TERRACE WALLS ADJOINING AND TO EAST OF THE MANSION APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES LONG

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Bisley-with-Lypiatt
National Grid Reference:
SO 88622 05866

Details

SO 80 NE BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT LYPIATT PARK

4/96 Terrace walls adjoining and to east of the Mansion approximately 200m long

GV II

Terrace wall. 1809-1815 by Sir Jeffrey Wyatville for Sir Paul Baghott. Random rubble limestone. Section of wall to north of house adjoins entrance terrace with various circular and triangular bastions, partly ruined. Some trefoil-headed lancets with iron ferramenta, designed to suggest more extensive fortress. Two round profile string courses, lower part of wall battered. To south of the Mansion, main terrace wall set at higher level, terrace walk passing below. Adjoining Mansion is large ashlar Tudor arched opening with doorway to cellar, this interrupting the higher level south terrace wall. Walls give impression of present house forming a small fragment of much larger medieval fortress.

Listing NGR: SO8862405870

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
132655
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].