CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1155827

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 20:01:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt

National Grid Reference: SO 91278 03385

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 9103 BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT OAKRIDGE LYNCH

17/104 Church of St Bartholomew

28.6.60

II

Parish church. 1835 by Robert Stokes for Thomas Keble. Ashlar limestone; concrete tile roof. Nave with west tower, south porch and chancel. Five tall Early English style lancets in offset buttressed nave walls; 4 to south set either side of parapet gabled porch with tall moulded pointed archway, sundial set above. Diagonal buttresses to parapet gable ends of nave. Triplet to parapet gabled east end of chancel; single lancet to south side of chancel only. Three-stage tower with crenellation and diagonal offset buttresses. Lancet belfry openings with stone louvres. Tall 2-light traceried west window with carved hood labels. Interior: simple limewashed interior with 5-bay truss roof; ceiling at collar level. Lower exposed part of trusses have bold coloured decoration. Similar decoration to panelled chancel ceiling. Wide chancel arch with triple shafts. Plain pointed tower arch. Octagonal-fronted stone pulpit, Early English style. Tall shaft to octagonal stone font. Stained glass of c1875 to east triplet. (N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos., xi, 1976, pp 4-40; M.A. Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937; and D. Verey, Cotswold Churches, 1976 and Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SO9127803385

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 132663

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1976), 4-40
Rudd, MA , Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, (1935)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing