This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1155874



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lechlade

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 129025

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



10/180 Church of St. Lawrence


GV I Anglican parish church. C13 foundation, completely rebuilt mid/late C15, with clerestorey and north porch of early C16, restored 1882 by Waller. Coursed and dressed Taynton stone, roofs not visible. West tower with spire, nave with clerestorey and 4- bay aisles, north porch, north and south chancel chapels of one bay at end of aisles, chancel with north vestry. Tower of 3 stages with offsets, large stepped diagonal buttresses with angle pinnacles, embattled parapet, 8-sided spire with roll mouldings at edges and gilt weathervane. Top stage has 2-light belfry openings with continuous hood and dripmould and stringcourse over with carved heads. Clockface to west with 3-light Perpendicular window below with angel and shield at top of hoodmould over arched splayed doorway with roll mouldings. Embattled nave parapet with straight headed 4-light cusped clerestorey windows and sanctus bellcote to east gable. Aisles and chancel chapels have plain parapets and 3- light windows with 2 vertical drops over. North porch has embattled parapet with pinnacles and carved figures along base, square-headed dorway with carved stops, flat stone ceiling with star rib pattern. South doorway in similar style with square hoodmould with carved square stops and foliage spandrels. ChanceL has pierced quatrefoil parapet in 2 rows set in lozenges and circles, and 5-light east window in 2 tiers with flattened cusped ogees with mouchettes to each light, in overall flattened arch shape. Single storey north vestry has similar pierced parapet to east. Interior: Nave rafter roof of early C16 on central ridge, of 4 bays with braced cross beams carried on wooden shafts to base of clerestorey windows. Five-bay arcade including chancel chapels with piers of 4 shafts and diagonally set square capitals. ChanceL roof similar structure to nave, in 3 main bays each sub-divided into 3 with gilded and painted bosses in easternmost bay, Vestry door on north side is original with carved decoration. Piscina and credence shelf in south east corner, rest of wall panelled in style of reredos of 1897. C15 octagonal font at west end with canopied niche over in pier of arcade. Several fine medieval brasses at east end and also marble monuments including one by Nicholas Read to Mrs Anne Simmons (died 1769) on south side of chancel. (David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, 1979.)

Listing NGR: SU2149399507

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SU 21494 99503


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155874 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 05:40:54.

End of official listing