Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1155892

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 01-May-1987

Statutory Address: SYDENHAMS


Ordnance survey map of SYDENHAMS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155892 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 11:13:19.


Statutory Address: SYDENHAMS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt

National Grid Reference: SO 89736 07819


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.




omit: Sydenhams Farmhouse

insert: Sydenhams



4/115 Sydenhams Farmhouse



Detached farmhouse. Late C16; enlarged early C17. c1930 restoration and enlargement by Norman Jewson; further later C20 enlargement. Random rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey with attic and cellar, original north-south range with cross wing at south end forming L-plan. South front: three window fenestration, outer 3-light, central upper floor single-light, all recessed chamfered mullioned with continuous drip course to ground floor. Central doorway with chamfered opening, gabled porch hood and 8-panel door. Central ridge-mounted chimney with moulded cap. East side: 2 parapet gables with cross roll saddles; central stone water shute between gables. Single window fenestration to each gable; left with 3-light ground floor, hoodmould extending from south front, 2-light upper floor and single-light attic. Three-light to ground and upper floors of right gable, 2-light to attic, all with hoodmoulds. Later single- storey outbuilding projects forward to right having attached stone mounting block with kennel beneath. West side: parapet gable end of cross wing projects forward to right in ashlar masonry. Large offset buttress has side access to cellar opening behind. Two- window fenestration to ground and upper floor, 2-light casements to ground floor being C20 additions; single and 2-light to upper floor; off-centre single attic light, quatrefoil attic vent to right. Gable mounted chimney with moulded cap. Continuous drip course above ground floor fenestration continues to north side of wing; single window to this side to each floor, both 2-light. Main range continues to left with Tudor arched and 2-light C14 lancet illuminating spiral stair. Two-light mullioned fenestration to left. North end: extended in C20 with parapet gable end. Most eaves lack gutters, rainwater being thrown off wall at drip mouldings in the traditional manner. Interior: many plank doors with ironmongery by Alfred Bucknell of Waterlane. Fine panelled room by Percy Tanner with decorative plasterwork. Iron radiator grilles by Norman Bucknell. Jacobean cupboard in another room. Plank and muntin partitions on upper floor. Various outbuildings and 2 pairs of gate piers (q.v.) to south. (N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 4-40; M.A. Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937, and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SO8973607819


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 132674

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1976), 4-40
Rudd, MA , Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, (1935)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing