MAIN BLOCK AND CHAPEL AT QUEEN ANNE'S SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1155905

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1978

Statutory Address: MAIN BLOCK AND CHAPEL AT QUEEN ANNE'S SCHOOL, HENLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAIN BLOCK AND CHAPEL AT QUEEN ANNE'S SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155905 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 20:54:46.

Location

Statutory Address: MAIN BLOCK AND CHAPEL AT QUEEN ANNE'S SCHOOL, HENLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Reading (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 71762 75116

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HENLEY ROAD 1. 5128 Main block and chapel at Queen Anne's School SU 7175 10/498 II 2. 'U' plan of Amersham Hall (1870s) by Alfred Waterhouse for Mr West retained. Altered and extended by Joseph Morris 1893-1896 and again between the wars. South front; symmetrical 2 1/2 and 3 storeys block, red brick with stone quoins and dressings and occasional blue-black diapers. 5 bays. 4 gables, the 2 principal ones project and flank central gabled porch. Coped gables with moulded kneelers and brick block cornice returns. Moulded string over ground floor. Slate roof grooved chimneys at sides of gables. Mullioned casement windows with stop chamfered reveals, brick relieving arches over. Caernavron arch fanlight over door. Porch flanked by tall single light windows, 3 light window over central blind window which contains monogram panel. [? EMM over 86 ? in leafy relief]. Secondary porch at angle of right hand bay and principal right hand gable. Chapel added by Sir Reginald Bloomfield 1893 - red brick with stone dressings and dividing buttresses. Slate roof with parapet to south. 3 bay aisled nave with chancel. Interior of school altered, but hall retains Gothic fireplace and some heating fixtures.

Listing NGR: SU7176275116

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38971

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing