ALDERSHOT METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1155955

Date first listed: 30-Apr-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Feb-1989

Statutory Address: ALDERSHOT METHODIST CHURCH, GROSVENOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALDERSHOT METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155955 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 11:02:21.

Location

Statutory Address: ALDERSHOT METHODIST CHURCH, GROSVENOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Rushmoor (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 86109 50662

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALDERSHOT Grosvenor Road 5238 SV 8650 (West side) 5/32 Aldershot Methodist Church 30.4.81 II*

Non-conformist church (Methodist). 1875 (foundation stone). Local sandstone rubble with bathstone dressings, part brick at rear, slate roofs and crested ridge tiles. Nave with aisles, transepts, chancel, north-west tower. Mixed Gothic in character with Early Engilsh, Decorated and Perpendicular features. Main west window in good Early English with portal below. Another portal to 4 stage corner tower, lancet to second stage, triple lancet to third stage, clock, arcaded top in ashlar with crocketted pinnacles. Queens Road front has 3 aisle gables with reticulated windows; transept with large paired windows and rose above. Interior: Open and spacious with open hammerbeam roof. Very slender paired cast iron columns support 5 bay arcade of striped brick and stone pointed arches with clerestory above. Single taller column to the larger transept arches. Stone arch to polygonal chancel. Chancel lit by triple lancets. West gallery. Organ of 1906. Choir stalls and lectern 1932. otherwise pine furnishings which are apparently original. Transept galleries may have been removed. A little altered and decoratively designed Methodist church built for the important Victorian town of Aldershot. The exterior has important townscape value and is the only significant tower in the town.



Listing NGR: SU8612950636

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 137856

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing