WYCLIFFE BAPTIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1155966

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1978

Statutory Address: WYCLIFFE BAPTIST CHURCH, KINGS ROAD

Statutory Address: WYCLIFFE BAPTIST CHURCH, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WYCLIFFE BAPTIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155966 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 15:14:39.

Location

Statutory Address: WYCLIFFE BAPTIST CHURCH, KINGS ROAD

Statutory Address: WYCLIFFE BAPTIST CHURCH, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Reading (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 73066 73223

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGS ROAD 1. 5128 (North Side) Wycliffe Baptist Church SU 7273 8/504 II 2. Built in 1887 as a daughter house to the King's Road Baptist Chapel (qv). North Italian classicizing-Romanesque in style. Grey brick with red brick corner piers, moulded plinth, strings at 1st floor level and 1st floor cill dressings. Central pedimented break above a 5 light arcade which is over 3 arch loggia porch. 2 light windows in outer bays, to left a pedimented aedicule facing west; to right a 4 stage tower, possibly intended to have steeple. Round headed windows. Porch arcade on pink granite columns with scroll caps. Moulded eaves band. Roman tile roof. Lower 2 storey extension to right (added 1885, foundation stone laid by Walter Palmer). It has a porch in gabled break and is linked to the tower by curved ground floor wall. Single and paired round headed lancets. 2 oculi on 1st floor to left. Moulded brick modillion eaves cornice and gable verges. Ground floor projection with lean-to. A further gable to centre of 1st floor. Large clerestory lit hall behind with wooden brackets to hipped Roman tile roof.

Listing NGR: SU7306673223

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38990

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing