STABLEBLOCK ATTACHED TO CASSEY COMPTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1156069

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: STABLEBLOCK ATTACHED TO CASSEY COMPTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLEBLOCK ATTACHED TO CASSEY COMPTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156069 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 05:44:51.

Location

Statutory Address: STABLEBLOCK ATTACHED TO CASSEY COMPTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Withington

National Grid Reference: SP 04965 15013

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 01 NW and WITHINGTON - SP 01 SW

5/145 and 7/146 Stableblock attached to Cassey Compton House 23.1.52 (formerly listed with Manor House) GV II

Stableblock and accommodation forming west side of courtyard to rear of house. Late C17-early C18. Stables; roughly coursed limestone at rear and gable end, ashlar on south. Accommodation block; random and coursed limestone, stone stacks. Accommodation block; 2 storeys, double-chamfered 2-light stone-mullioned casements facing courtyard, garage with two C20 double garage doors and loft over at gable end. Some casements with rectangular leaded panes. Stableblock runs away left; single storey with loft, access to loft via plank door at top of stone steps at rear. Possible reused fireplace (now blocked) left of steps. C20 garage doors right. Wing runs forwards right of doors with double width opening with timber lintel in gable end. Two courses of pigeon holes below eaves in right-hand return. Wooden brackets below pigeon holes presumably formerly supported landing. South front; ground floor formerly lit by 5 hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned cross windows with moulded architraves and sills (windows now blocked below transoms). Band above windows. Five doorways with moulded surrounds (one now blocked). Doorway at east end blocked with C20 two-light wood casement inserted, dropped keystone within moulded surround. Blocked double width opening with timber lintel left, upper part of former cross window with moulded architrave inserted in blocking. Five gabled roof dormers. Roof hipped at west end. Axial and gable end stacks with moulded cappings. Interior; retains hay racks. (Atkyn's History of Gloucestershire, engraving c1712 by Kip.)

Listing NGR: SP0498215015

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 129251

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Atkyn, R, The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire, (1712)

End of official listing